Motorcycle Trailers Open and Enclosed
Ironhorse Trailers, Inc is the pioneering developer of a completely new breed of Motorcycle Trailers — composite-basedlow-profile fliptops and monocoupe tilt-to-load open trailers. Since 2003 Ironhorse trailers have been known for their made-in-America quality, innovative aerodynamic design, incomparable reliability and durability and unprecedented user friendliness. No other Motorcycle Trailers with full sized high speed tires are as easy to look at, as easy to use and as easy on gas.
You don’t have to own a truck to benefit from owning an Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailer. The smaller models are so light and aerodynamic that they can be towed by even the smallest personal vehicle, and none of them require more than a V-6 SUV. Nor do you have to be a big burly guy. Although Motorcycle Trailers with tandem axles are virtually impossible to move around by hand, take away about half their weight and one of their axles and hitching, unhitching, and moving them around by hand becomes downright easy. That’s probably why Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailers are so popular with women.
Ironhorse Trailers does not build utility, equipment, snowmobile, car hauler or fish house trailers. Motorcycle Trailers are our only business. We are a small manufacturing business owned by two long time manufacturing experts fully committed to the proposition that everything starts and finishes with the customer. The fact that they are widely known among their customer base for their unusual accessibility and responsiveness proves that they walk the talk as well. If you call for info, Julie will likely answer the phone. If, on the other hand, you have a technical question,before or after you buy an Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailer, you’ll talk to Ed, the other owner.
When it comes to the actual Motorcycle Trailers we make, we use only the best materials like Dexter’s independent suspension torsion axles and Huber Engineered Woods’ Advantek for subflooring. Our work force consists of highly trained, quality conscious, multi-skilled workers with little turnover from year to year. Given the professionalism of our ownership, the materials we buy and the quality of our work force, we have no reservations about providing a 4 year warranty for every trailer we build.
Click the images below to explore Ironhorse Trailers.
Enclosed Flip Top Market Area
Although shipping an Ironhorse costs money, enclosed Flip top buyers typically look at it as simply the price of admission to the Ironhorse Trailer ownership experience. That’s why we have so many satisfied owners throughout the U.S. and Canada, as well as some from as far away as Dubai, Qatar, Ukraine, Georgia, Estonia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Germany, Panama, etc.
Load 1 ‘N GoThis flexible trailer accommodates one of anything up to and including one touring bike, golf cart or ATV.
Actual Trailers for Motorcycles vs. Poor Imitations – The Ironhorse Advantage
- You can paint stripes on a donkey and call it a zebra, but it won’t last long in a Zebra’s natural habitat because it’s really just a striped jackass. That is basically the difference between an Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailer and what is typically marketed as such. Why should that difference matter to you?
- The difference starts and ends with a trailer’s design. All too often, other trailer manufacturers, including some very well-known ones, start by selecting a cargo or utility trailer about the right size from their existing product line. Then “sex” it up a little with some paper thin one-side-bright or diamond plate sheet aluminum. Next, they throw a plastic bag containing wheel chocks and d-rings in the trailer bed and call it good. Finally, they put a picture of it on the company web site with a caption that says “Motorcycle Trailer”.
- Actually hardly anybody does exactly that but what they do is too close for comfort. About the only difference between that and what really happens is that some manufacturers actually install the d-rings and wheel chocks. That sounds better, until you stop to think about it. Just visualize some engineer being told to specify places for d-rings and wheel chocks. The problem is that the engineer’s only experience with motorcycles may have been a couple of rides on his buddy’s dirt bike when he was 13. Or he may currently ride a crotch rocket. In either case, the layout the engineer comes up with is not likely to work too well for your Harley Streetglide and Softail Deluxe or any one of the other combinations bikers actually trailer.
- The point is that the design of true Motorcycle Trailers must start with an in-depth understanding of the needs of bikers who choose to trailer. The common denominator is that nobody chooses to trailer their bike(s) just for the hell of it. Instead they trailer because they believe they can have more fun with their bike over a weekend, during a vacation, etc. if they trailer than if they don’t.
- But when you talk to a few hundred bikers who currently trailer or who have done so in the past, you’re in for a surprise. What many, if not most, remember most strongly is not the fun but the pain they now associate with trailering. Pain that a) canceled out much of the fun they had expected from trailering their bike(s), b) made them hesitant to trailer as much as they had planned, and c) which could have been avoided if they had been using properly designed Motorcycle Trailers.
Safety, Security and Convenience—the Key Issues
- It’s not enough to just talk to a lot of bikers who currently trailer or who have done so in the past. A top notch Motorcycle Trailer designer thinks long and hard about what he or she heard from bikers who trailer. After a while he or she realizes that while every trailer experience may be at least a little different, there are some really key issues. To make a long story short, those issues are safety, security and convenience.
- Safety—Motorcycle Trailers that can be towed at normal highway speeds in all traffic conditions without undue incident or stress are the objective. That rules out the majority of so-called Motorcycle Trailers on the market.
- Clearly there’s a lot more to designing safe Motorcycle Trailers than specifying safety chains for the tongue. Bikers who trailer describe minor annoyances like having to replace a tire on the road, tow bills to get out of the ditch, and total losses of prized bike(s), Motorcycle Trailers and personal tow vehicles. True enough, much of this pain could have been avoided by bikers with twenty years of trailering experience. But that’s hardly the point. Practically all of this pain could have been avoided by most bikers who trailer had they been towing Motorcycle Trailers that were properly designed from the start.
- Security—Motorcycle Trailers that make their theft and/or theft of the motorcycles in them extremely difficult is the objective. Regardless of whether they are parked at a restaurant, at a motel, on the street or at home. That pretty much rules out all open trailers as well as many enclosed Motorcycle Trailers.
- So what can a Motorcycle Trailer designer do to discourage thieves. Theft alarms come to mind but for many situations they just don’t cut it. It’s hard to keep a thief out of a trailer parked in a remote area. Especially if he has a sledge hammer and a portable Sawzall with plenty of batteries. Failing that, an invisible door locking mechanism will keep most thieves out. But what about them stealing the whole trailer, bike(s) and all? When properly configured, a single axle Motorcycle Trailer with front rolling jack, telescoping stabilizers and an invisible tailgate locking mechanism is amazingly hard to steal. About the only choice that leaves thieves is to steal tow vehicle and all.
- Convenience—Motorcycle Trailer designs that maximize convenience is the objective. Hitching and unhitching can be easy or hard depending on whether a trailer is equipped with a front rolling jack and a single axle or tandem axles. Deciding exactly where your bike(s) should ride can be easy or hard depending on how long your trailer is. Loading and unloading your bike(s) can be easy or hard depending on whether there is a built in ramp of the correct length. Likewise loading and tying down your bike(s) can take one or two people depending on whether it is equipped with ride-in, step-off wheel chock(s) and whether it has d-rings in the right places.
- Your Motorcycle Trailer can be easy or hard on gas, a really big issue these days. Heck, it can even be easy or hard to look at. It can be easy or hard to move around by hand, especially when you want to put it away in, or retrieve it from, somewhere that has little room on each side. Easy or hard to stow your bike(s) in for the winter, easy or hard to maintain, etc.
- If your have any questions about why Ironhorse Trailers are the most Convenient, Easiest, Safest and most Secure Motorcycle Trailers on the market, or about anything else about Motorcycle Trailers, call us at 888-793-6184. We’d love to hear from you.
Ironhorse motorcycle trailers are designed from the ground up for:
Bikers had the answers, we just had to listen.
Who says you must sacrifice form for function?
Streamlining is the only way to beat wind resistance.
What our Customers say about us
We just returned from our southwest trip with our new Ironhorse trailer. I wanted to email you sooner but we were "very busy" on vacation. We put on a little over 4,000 miles and wished to share our experience. First, the trailer handled very well. As you can see, we were pulling it with our minivan and had no problems. On the trip down we encountered very strong and gusty crosswinds all through Illinois. The trailer was seemingly unaffected by the winds. With 2 medium weight bikes in it, hills were easily managed. The trailer brakes were more than sufficient when braking as well. The bikes stayed put in the wheel chocks with two binders(straps) on each bike. Placement of chocks and tie downs were great. Loading and unloading was quick and easy. I really appreciated the inside lights for loading at night. Trailer design was very well thought out, well balanced and obviously designed by bikers. Build quality and finish were very nice as well. A final comment: Your trailer allowed us to bike on some awesome roads (in the winter!) we never would have otherwise been able to do. (I'm too cheap to rent a bike and like to ride my own) .
Mike and Patti
I have enjoyed this trailer more than any trailer I have ever owned and I have had a lot of trailers. I wouldn't part with this trailer for anything and just wanted you to know how much I love this trailer.
Our trailer is great! It's two years old, we've towed it a bunch of miles collecting compliments all along the way, and everything about our Ironhorse is still perfect. Working with Julie and Ed at Ironhorse is a great experience...they are patient and kind, and they listen, help, advise well and make the whole transaction easy for their customers, so not only is the product wonderful but the experience of buying an Ironhorse is too. If you want to talk about owning an Ironhorse, or buying one, call Julie for my phone number and I'll be glad to tell you all about it!
Brent Landry // TX
The trailer, AWESOME! I pull it with a 2007 Trailblazer SS and it tows wonderfully. The bikes fit great inside, lots of room, easy to load and strap down, fit and finish outstanding, I could go on and on. The trailer is gorgeous, couldn't be happier.
These Ironhorse trailers blend functionality with style. I just purchased a 2011 single bike trailer and have to say I am totally pleased with the quality of the trailer, the answers and information Ironhorse staff provided, and the effortless sales transaction. I previously owned a 2000 Excalibur sport & business trailer and this Ironhorse is a whole new breed of quality. Thank you, again!
Chuck Z // Columbus OH
As a proud owner of an IronHorse Trailer since 2006 I just want to let eveyone know what a great quality product it is and what fine people the Heards are! Julie and Ed Heard put their heart and souls into each trailer they build and stand behind their product 100%. If you want the #1 lightweight, "super trick", easy to load and easy to tow motorcycle trailer, with the BEST warranty in the business, you should give them a call!
John Pontrich // KY
I just wanted to let you guys know how much I enjoy the trailer I bought from you last spring. I have made at least 8 / 1500 mile round trips from Ohio to Wisconsin with it this summer and don't know how I would get along without it! It you ever have a customer undecided about buying one feel free to have them contact me.
I pull with a PT Cruiser (4 cyl) and average 20-24 MPG at 70-75 mph on the freeway...not too bad!
WOW what a great trailer. It's a work of art on wheels. Thank You for all your help in choosing the right trailer. You delivered it on time for my vacation as promised. Please thank Julie for her help as well. Your delivery driver was fantastic and very professional. I'm sure it was a challenge to find my address in the middle of the city. People that live around here have trouble finding this place but, he had no problem. I will not hesitate to recommend Iron Horse to everyone.
Trailers From Plain to Fancy
Ironhorse Trailers was founded in 2002 in Lavergne, TN, near Nashville. Our first home was a 4,000 square foot building on a side street. During that time, all our fiberglass parts were supplied by one subcontractor and all our chasses were supplied by another. By 2005, we had discontinued our original fixed top model, replaced it with two new flip top models and outgrown the building. After a two year search, we relocated to a new building about six times the size of our former one, on a four lane highway, and only about seventy miles away.